Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-02-2008, 05:38 PM
rbratt

Default Questions and comments about KJV

Hey all. I have several questions and comments on the KJV Bible and your positions on it. Please don't take these combatively as they are not meant that way. My wifes father is a Bible Missionary preacher and holds to the KJV is the only inspired word of God. My wife does the same. I however do not, and thought this may be a good place to ask some questions and pose some comments. Dad and my wife both do not have answers and merely say "I don't know, this is just what we believe."

So...

1) William Tyndale produced the copy that the KJV of the Bible was created from. And King James basically prosecuted him as a heretic and then "authorized" this version. I have a Tyndale Old and New Testament. What is wrong with these? Also my KJV (I have several) mostly have WT on the pages between the Old and New Testament in "remembrance" of Tyndale.

2) If the KJV of the Bible is the ONLY authorized (what does authorized mean anyway? Didn't God authorize hundreds of men to write his Word?) version of the Bible, how can anyone outside English speaking countries be saved? A German translation will read differently than an English one due to language differences. wouldn't that make it an non-authorized translation?

3) Just as Matthew, Mark, Luke and John write in different styles and tell the same stories, they are not identicle in content or literary content. They have different perspectives and ways of putting them into words. (Maybe God knows not all people understand the same way?) Why then should we throw out a translation, that is done in good faith, and does not take away from the message of salvation. That is the purpose of Gods Word after all. Right? Personally I have gathered much more insight using several versions of the Bible to get a deeper meaning for what God was actually saying. Should I not use a concordenence, or Josephus, or any of the apologetics to help my understanding? What about commentaries? They aren't scripture.

4) In saying that everyone else's versions are wrong, and only the KJV is the "true inspired Word of God" aren't you just like the saducees and pharisees (sorry I know I spelled them wrong) of old? More caught up in the words, and practice rather than the true spirt of God? (ie.. splitting symantic hairs?)

5) In saying not to change, or add to, or delete from "this book" you do realize that there was no Bible when John wrote Revelations? He was saying not to change the words of his prophecy, not the Bible. The Bible was put together by men, who selected what letters by the apostles should or shouldn't be added along with Old testament scriptures. Indeed they didn't include all of the Old Testament either. The Jewish scriptures contain more books. Why not include those? There are other letters that were written by the apostles that are not included that are just as valid. They just weren't included becasue they didn't add anything to the "message".

6) Didn't Paul (I think it was him) say all scripture is good for reproach and teaching? The NIV, the NASB and KJV all share the same message. Language changes. Look at our society today and tell me the language usage is the same as it was 50 years ago. BUT if you read the NIV do you get the message of salvation? Yes. So why so against saving souls arguing over whse Bible is the best?

Anyway, those are my thoughts and questions. I love the KJV Bible. It is beautifully written. Again, I am not trying to put anyone down, or start any fights, I am merely interested in answers and opinions. I collect Bibles (one could have worse hobbys) and find that there are a lot of good translations, but there are some that are out right wrong. These my friends seem obvious to me. (gender neutral, "gay" bibles etc...)

Thanks, and I look forward to your answers, comments.